University of California, Irvine
- Machine Learning for Systems
- Systems for Machine Learning
- Distributed and Edge computing
- Vehicular autonomy
- 2010-2012 – Post Doctorate Scholar, Electrical Engineering, Stanford University and the University of Southern California, USA
- 2009 – Ph.D. in Telecommunications Engineering, University of Padova, Italy
- 2005 – M.E. in Telecommunication Engineering (summa cum laude), University of Ferrara, Italy
- 2002 – B.E. inTelecommunication Engineering(summa cum laude), University of Ferrara, Italy
- Apr. 2022 – June 2022: Visiting professor, Universita’ di Trento.
- Jul. 2013 – June 2018: Assistant professor, Computer Science Dept., University of California, Irvine.
- Jan. 2013 – Aug. 2013: Access Post-doctorate researcher at KTH (Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden), Automatic Control Lab.
- Jan. 2010 – Dec. 2012: Post-doctorate research fellow at Stanford and the University of Southern California, EE Department.
- Apr. 2009 – Jun. 2009: visiting research scholar at the University of Southern California, EE Department.
- Jan. 2009 – Dec. 2009: Post-doctorate researcher at the University of Padova, Italy, Dept. of Information Engineering.
- Jan 2008 – Aug. 2008: visiting scholar at the University of Southern California, EE Department.
- Jan 2006 – March 2009: Ph.D. student at the School of Information Engineering, University of Padova, Italy.
- Apr. 2005 – Dec. 2005: research fellow at the University of Padova, Italy, Dept. of Information Engineering.
Awards and Honors
- 2022 – IEEE Senior Member
- 2022 – Distinguished Member of the 2022 IEEE INFOCOM Technical Program Committee
- 2019 – Dean’s Mid Career Research Award
- 2016 – University of California Hellman Award
- 2012 – Best paper award – IEEE Global Communications Conference (Globecom) 2012, Signal processing symposium
- 2012 – Winner of the ACCESS Post Doctoral research fellowship at the ACCESS Linnaeus Center, Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden.
- 2010 – Nominated for the Best Young Researcher Award, Dept. of Information Engineering, University of Padova, Italy.
- 2009 – Nominated for the Best Young Researcher Award, Dept. of Information Engineering, University of Padova, Italy.
- 2022 – Cisco Research Grant: Context-Aware Dynamic Control of Edge Task Offloading for Mobile Object Detection, PI: Levorato, USD 75K, 05/01/2022 – 04/30/2023
- 2022 – NSF S&HF: A Design Automation Methodology for Flexible Real-Time Computing based on Split and Early Exit Neural Models, PI: Mohammad Al Faruque, Co-PI: Marco Levorato, USD 500K, 02/01/2022-01/31/2025.
- 2021 – NSF Nets: Reliable Task Offloading in Mobile Autonomous Systems Through Semantic MU- MIMO Control, PI: Francesco Restuccia, Co-PI: Marco Levorato, USD 415K, 10/01/2021-09/30/2024.
- 2021 – UCI/ICS Exploration Grant: Interconnected Autonomy Group, PI: Marco Levorato, USD 70K, 06/01/2021-05/30/2022.
- 2021 – NSF-IUCRC Planning grant: Center for Smart Space Research (CSSR), PI: Nalini Venkata- subramanian, Co-PI: Marco Levorato, Sergio Gago, Sharad Mehrotra, USD 20K, 03/01/21- 02/28/22.
- 2020 – NSF/Intel-MLWIN: Ultra-Reliable Collaborative Computing for Autonomous Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, PI: Marco Levorato, Co-PI: Stephan Mandt, USD 450K, 07/01/20-06/30/23
- 2019 – UCI/ICS Exploration Grant: Exploring New Security Horizons for Emerging Autonomous Systems, Co-PIs: Marco Levorato, Alfred Chen, and Gene Tsudik, USD 75K, 03/14/2019- 03/14/2020
- 2018 – DARPA: HYDRA – Resilient Computation for Heterogeneous Autonomous Drone sYstems, PI: Marco Levorato, Co-PI: Bhaskar Krishnamachari (USC), USD 316K (+10K equipment gift), 10/01/18-09/30/19
- 2018 – NSF-S&CC: UNITE: Smart, Connected, and Coordinated Maternal Care for Underserved Communities, (Co-PI) USD 2.1M, 09/01/18-08/31/22
- 2018 – University of California Office of the President: UC-Lab Center for Electricity Distribution Cybersecurity, (Co-PI) USD 3.75M (300K personal), 03/01/18-02/28/21
- 2018 – NSF-S&AS: Cognitive and Reflective Monitoring Systems for Urban Environments, PI: Marco Levorato, Co-PI: Solmaz Kia, USD 500K, 01/01/18-31/12/21
- 2017 – NSF-WiFiUS: IoCT-CARE: Internet of Cognitive Things for Personalized Healthcare, PI: Nikil Dutt, Co-PI: Marco Levorato, USD 300K, 04/01/17-03/31/19
- 2016 – NSF-EPCN: Multi-Scale Analysis and Control of Smart Energy Systems, PI: Marco Levorato, Co-PI: Mohammad al Faruque, USD 260K – 09/01/16-08/31/18
- 2016 – University of California Hellman Fellowship: The Path Towards Smart Interconnected Communities, PI: Marco Levorato USD 50K, 2016
Featured Invited Seminars
- 2023 – Invited seminar at the Rivian seminar series.
- 2022 – Invited Panelist – IEEE HealthCom 2022: “New frontiers in eHealth: challenges, opportunities, and future perspectives”
- 2022 – Keynote speaker – IEEE HealthCom 2022.
- 2022 – Invited Panelist – European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC), Workshop on Split Computing
- 2022 – Invited seminar at the Cisco seminar series.
- 2022 – Tutorial on Edge computing at IEEE ICOIN
- 2021 – Invited seminar at the Intel Tech Talks
Press and Media
- Sophia Stuart, “Inside the DARPA’s Hackfest at the NASA Research Park”, PC Magazine, 2017. Link to article.
- 2023 – IEEE Transactions on Communications: Associate Editor (April 2023).
- 2022 – IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing: Guest editor – special Issue ”Distributed Signal Processing for Edge Learning in B5G IoE Networks.
- 2022 – Computer Networks: Guest editor – Special issue on Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) for the Internet of Things, 5G, and Beyond.
- 2019 – Computer Networks – Elsevier: Area Editor (2019-Present).
- 2019 – IEEE Open Access Journal-COMS: Guest Editor Aerial Wireless Networks Special Issue (Fall-Winter 2019)
- 2019 – MDPI Energies: Guest editor – Special Issue on Modeling and control of smart energy systems (Fall-Winter 2019)
- IEEE SmartGridComm 2024: Workshop co-chair.
- Workshop on Dynamic Neural Networks (part of ICML 2022): chair.
- IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Intelligence and Computing (IEEE PiCOM 2022): TPC Chair
- IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication and Networking (IEEE Secon 2022) 2022: Demo co-Chair.
- IEEE Technical Committee on Smart Grid Communications: Vice Chair (2020-2021).
- IEEE International Conference on Smart Computing (IEEE SmartComp 2021): Tutorial Chair.
- IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (IEEE ISIT 2020): Local
- Arrangements Chair.
- ACM International Workshop on Autonomous Mobile Air-Ground Edge Computing, Systems, Networks and Applications (Part of ACM SIGCOMM 2019): Chair.
- 1st IEEE Workshop on Wireless Networking, Planning, and computing for UAV swarms (Part of IEEE WOWMOM 2019): Chair.
- IEEE Special Interest Group – Big Data Management and Analytics – IEEE ComSoc Emerging Technical Committee on Smart Grid Communications (ETC-SG): Co-Chair, 2018.
- 1st Workshop on Communications, Data Processing and Control for Unmanned Autonomous Systems (CPC-UAV) (Part of IEEE Secon 2018): Chair.
- IEEE International Conference on Smart Computing (IEEE SMARTCOMP 2018): Publicity chair (America).
- IEEE International Conference on Acoustic, Speech, and Signal Processing (IEEE ICASSP 2018): Co-organizer of the special session on Cybersecurity and Privacy.
- IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (IEEE ICNC 2018): Chair of the Cognitive Computing and Networking symposium.
- Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers (Asilomar 2017): Organizer of the invited session on Cognitive Networks.
- IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication and Networking (IEEE Secon 2017): TPC Vice Chair for Submissions.
- IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (IEEE SmartGridComm 2017): Chair of the Smart Metering, Demand Response and Dynamic Pricing symposium.
- IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (IEEE WCNC 2017): Chair of the Machine-to-Machine Communications and the Internet of Things workshop.
- IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (IEEE ICNC 2017): Chair of the Cognitive Computing and Networking symposium.
- ACM Annual International Conference On Mobile Computing And Networking (ACM Mobicom 2015): Workshop Co-chair
- ACM International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (ACM Mobisys 2015): Publication Chair.
- ACM Annual International Conference On Mobile Computing And Networking (ACM Mobicom 2014): Co-chair local arrangements.
Selected TPC Memberships
- IEEE SECON (2022-present)
- IEEE Infocom 2016
2021-2022: CS DECADE mentor
2021-2022: Co-Director of the UCI Networked Systems Program.
2019-2021: ICS Faculty chair
2020-present: Faculty mentor (Sangeetha Jyoti)
2018-2020: Faculty search committee (Systems/CS);
2019-2021: Hellman Fellowship committee member;
2019: Council on Research, Computing and Libraries (CORCL);
2018-2019: Hiring Vision Committee (CS Dept.);
2016-2018: UCI Senate Committee on Courses (CoC);
2014-2015: Senate Committee on Education Policies (CEP);
2014-2019: Graduate Student Admission Committee (CS Dept.);
2016-2019: Lecturer Review Board (CS Dept.);
2016: Chair Selection Committee;
2015 and 2016: Undergraduate Summer Internship Committee.