- 2021 – Ph.D in Computer Science, University of California, Irvine, USA
- 2016 – Laurea Magistrale (eq. Msc) in Computer Engineering, University of Padova, Italy
- 2014 – Laurea Triennale (eq. Bsc) in Information Engineering, University of Padova, Italy
While pursuing my Ph.D in Computer Science at University of California Irvine, I have worked on Machine Learning in heterogeneous Computer Systems. I focused on how to make Sensor Networks more reliable and efficient through architecture design, studying and implementing real-time systems.
Since the participation to the DARPA HackFest 2017, in joint team guided by Prof. Levorato and Prof. Bhaskar Krishnamachari, teaching at USC Viterbi School of Engineering, I have been using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) as an application of my studies. These devices, characterized by high mobility, time constraints and limited energy availability, offer a great opportunity for researching my topics of interest.
I helped delivering high quality courses in UC Irvine during A.Y.s 2016-17 and 2017-18, helping as a Teaching Assistant in Intermediate Python (ICS 33), Introduction to Machine Learning (CS 173a), Computer and Commincation Networks (CS 132-232) (both undergraduate and graduate level).
During my time as a graduate student, I mentored more than 20 undergraduate and graduate students, leading undergraduate research projects and senior projects that won 4 Undergraduate Research Awards (collectively more than $4000). I also mentored 3 graduate students: one master thesis project, two visiting and joining our research group (who joined the Ph.D program in UC Irvine).
Media and Press
- UCI CS Magazine: Professors Marco Levorato and Stephan Mandt Receive NSF/Intel Grant for Autonomous UAVs. June 2020.
- UCI CS Magazine: Levorato and DeepEdge Tackle DARPA SDR Hackfest. November 2018.
- PC Magazine: S.C. Stuart, Inside the DARPA’s Hackfest at the NASA Research Par. December 2017.
- UCI CS Magazine: Professor Levorato’s DARPA Project Aims to Strengthen Autonomous Drone Systems. December 2017.
- Armed with Science: Yolanda R. Arrington, DARPA Puts Techies to the Test at Bay Area Hackfest. The Official US Defense Department Science Blog. November 2017.
- IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM): 2020
- IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC): 2020-2021
- IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Quality of Service (IWQoS) 2021
- IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society 2021
- IEEE Network Magazine 2020-2021
- IEEE Communications Magazine 2020-2021
- IEEE/ACM Transactions on Mobile Computing 2020
- Undergraduate Research Award (UCI) 2021 Autonomous Vehicle Collaboration Through Platooning
- Undergraduate Research Award (UCI) 2020 Exploring Real-Time Dynamic Offloading and Response in Heterogeneous Networks
- Undergraduate Research Award (UCI) 2019 Optimized Object and Waste Collection Through Coordinated Cloud Robotics
- Undergraduate Research Award (UCI) 2018 Autonomous Object-tracking Quadcopter with Remote Processing Capability
- Erasmus Award 2014
- D. Callegaro, M. Levorato and F. Restuccia, SmartDet: Context-Aware Dynamic Control of Edge Task Offloading for Mobile Object DetectIon, IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (IEEE WoWMoM) 2022, Jun 14-17, 2022, Belfast, UK.
- Y. Matsubara, D. Callegaro, S. Singh, M. Levorato and F. Restuccia, “BottleFit: Learning Compressed Representations in Deep Neural Networks for Effective and Efficient Split Computing,” Proceedings of 2022 IEEE 23rd International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), 2022. [Preprint]
- A. Vega, A. Buyuktosunoglu, Davide Callegaro, M. Levorato, and P. Bose, Cloud-Backed Mobile Cognition Power-Efficient Deep Learning in the Autonomous Vehicle Era, Springer Computing, 2021.
- D. Callegaro, M. Levorato, and F. Restuccia, SeReMAS: Self-Resilient Mobile Autonomous Systems Through Predictive Edge Computing, in 2021 18th Annual IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication, and Networking (SECON), 2021.
- D. Callegaro and M. Levorato, Optimal Edge Computing for Infrastructure-Assisted UAV Systems, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 1782 – 1792, 2021.
- D. Callegaro, Y. Matsubara, and M. Levorato, Optimal Task Allocation for Time-Varying Edge Computing Systems with Split DNNs, in 2020 IEEE Global Communications Conference: Selected Areas in Communications: Internet of Things and Smart Connected Communities (Globecom2020 SAC IoTSCC), Taipei, Taiwan, Dec. 2020.
- D. Callegaro, Y. Matsubara and M. Levorato, “Optimal Task Allocation for Time-Varying Edge Computing Systems with Split DNNs,” GLOBECOM 2020 – 2020 IEEE Global Communications Conference, pp. 1-6, 2020
- Y. Matsubara, D. Callegaro, S. Baidya, M. Levorato and S. Singh, “Head Network Distillation: Splitting Distilled Deep Neural Networks for Resource-constrained Edge Computing Systems,” IEEE Access, Vol. 8, pp. 212177-212193, 2020
- D. Callegaro, S. Baidya, and M. Levorato, Dynamic Distributed Computing for Infrastructure-Assisted Autonomous UAVs, in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Dublin, Ireland, Jun. 2020, SAC Tactile Internet Track.
- Y. Matsubara, S. Baidya, D. Callegaro, M. Levorato and S. Singh, “Distilled Split Deep Neural Networks for Edge-Assisted Real-Time Systems,” Proceedings of the 2019 Workshop on Hot Topics in Video Analytics and Intelligent Edges (HotEdgeVideo ’19), pp. 21-26, 2019
- D. Callegaro, S. Baidya, G. Ramachandran, B. Krishnamachari, and M. Levorato, Information Autonomy: Self-Adaptive Information Management for Edge-Assisted Autonomous UAV Systems, in Proceedings of the IEEE Military Communication Conference (MILCOM), Norfolk, VA, Nov. 2019.
- D. Callegaro, S. Baidya, and M. Levorato, A Measurement Study on Edge Computing for Autonomous UAVs, in Proceedings of the Workshop on Mobile Air-Ground Edge Computing, Systems, Networks, and Applications (MAGESys), Beijing, China, Aug. 2019, in conjunction with the ACM Special Interest Group on Data Communication (SIGCOMM) Conference.
- D. Callegaro and M. Levorato, Optimal Computation Offloading in Edge-Assisted UAV Systems, in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, Dec. 2018.
- I. Burago, D. Callegaro, M. Levorato, and S. Singh, Intelligent Data Filtering in Constrained IoT Systems, in Proceedings of the Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers (ACSSC), Pacific Groove, California, Oct. – Nov. 2017.
Last updated: May 3rd, 2022